Saturday, February 5, 2011

OCD RULES

Let me tell you this..

I have this weird habit..
I'm not sure since when did I practice this habit, but what for sure..I'm one of the OCD sufferers.
For your information, OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER@ OCD is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear or worry by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts ( Obsession) and behaviors ( Compulsions).

I found out about this disorder through OPRAH WINFREY SHOW and READER'S DIGEST..
Then, I do some research through a visit to a doctors and internet..
All the symptoms is exactly the same like me..

There are many types of OCD actually..but mine was the CHECKERS OCD . The compulsion to check objects often stems from obsession. Intrusive thoughts will often enter my mind and are difficult to shift. This result in repetitive checking to try to "SILENCE"the intrusive thoughts. With those who do not suffer from OCD, checking once is usually enough to 'SILENCE' the niggling doubt that an electrical appliances has been on and the door is not locked,but things are not simple for me..
The doubt remain, despite frequent checking.


I think my obsession is related to fears that something bad will happen if the checking 'RITUALS' are not performed frequently. For example like the house may burn down (if an electrical appliance has been accidentally left on) or a burglar may gain access to the house( if the doors and windows is not locked)




 So, my repetition of checking things such as doors, windows and electrical appliances to make sure that they are shut, locked or switched off actually becoming an obsession..
I also often visualize horrific catastrophes in which I'm going to be blame for the lack of responsibility. 

I think I should stop it before it become CHRONIC..and for those who are fighting checking behaviours like me, do this tips..I've try it and now, my OCD reducing it's self..I'm not saying that your OCD will gone immediately..but, it will able to lower value on the OCD thoughts and urges. I was applying this tips on the other behavior as well..

Firstly, if I'm checking the door, I will try to lock the door with extra attention and mind awareness the first time. This way, I will have a good mental picture to refer to when compulsive urge arises..

Secondly, anticipating that the urge to check is going to arise in myself, I should lock the door the first time in a slow and deliberate manner, making mental notes, such as "THE DOOR IS NOW LOCKED and I CAN SEE THAT IT IS LOCKED"

Finally, with a mental picture of having locked that door because I did it carefully and attentively the first time, I don't need to worry about it at all because I already had the mental picture..so, I will not checking the door again..

If we want to change yourself, we should have a confidence in ourselves. Take one step at a time but keep going!!

No comments:

Post a Comment